The APEX Awards recognize excellence in pharmacy practice in Alberta. Initiated in August 2007, the awards are jointly funded, promoted, and presented by the Alberta College of Pharmacists (ACP) and the Alberta Pharmacists’ Association (RxA).
Congratulations to our 2019 APEX Award recipients and thank you to those who nominated them!
Award of Excellence
Jackie Liu, Health Care Team Lead
Mosaic Primary Care Network
M.J. Huston Pharmacist of Distinction
Dr. Tammy Bungard, AMS Program Director, Associate Professor
Department of Medicine, University of Alberta
Friend of Pharmacy
Dr. Rahim Kachra, Physician, Clinical Associate Professor, Director of Teaching Innovations
Cumming School of Medicine, University of Calgary
Future of Pharmacy
Bowden Sych, Clinical Pharmacist & Pharmacy Owner
Essi Salokangas, Clinical Pharmacist
Addiction Recovery Community Health Clinic (ARCH), Royal Alexandra Hospital
Shawn Knutson, Assistant Manager
Mint Health + Drugs Sherwood Dispensaries
W.L. Boddy Pharmacy Team Award
Comprehensive Children's Epilepsy Centre
(Curtis Claassen – Staff Pharmacist, Nancy Thornton – Nurse Clinician, Dr. Jeffrey Buchhalter – Epileptologist )
Alberta Children’s Hospital
Pfizer Consumer Healthcare Bowl of Hygeia
Tristan Lai, Pharmacy Manager
Rexall Pharmacy Group
Nominations for the 2020 APEX Awards will open in fall 2019.
- M.J. Huston Pharmacist of Distinction This award is presented to a pharmacist who has demonstrated outstanding professional excellence in the practice of pharmacy.
- W.L. Boddy Pharmacy Team Award This award is presented to a pharmacy staff team in Alberta who, by virtue of their practice, positively impact the health of their community.
- Award of Excellence This award is presented to an Alberta pharmacist for individual outstanding achievement in the field of pharmacy. This award is granted for a single unique accomplishment or contribution thus differing in this way from the Pharmacist of Distinction Award.
- Future of Pharmacy The Future of Pharmacy Award is presented to up to three pharmacists per year who exude enthusiasm and passion for pharmacy, are visionary, and offer extraordinary promise to the profession.
- Friend of Pharmacy The Friend of Pharmacy Award is presented to a non-pharmacist who has contributed to the success of the profession of pharmacy.
- Pfizer Consumer Healthcare Bowl of Hygeia The Bowl of Hygeia is awarded annually to a pharmacist who has compiled an outstanding record of community service which, apart from his/her specific identification as a pharmacist, reflects well on the profession.
For the terms of reference, click on the award title.