Awards and Recognition
Pharmacists are the most accessible healthcare practitioner located in almost every community in Alberta. Pharmacists provide primary care, participate in public health and provide essential health services to all Albertans. Alberta Pharmacists are part of thousands of good news stories occurring every day that we do not hear about enough. These happen in community pharmacies, clinics, hospitals, long term care settings, research facilities, policy rooms and even in the homes of Albertans.
Recognizing and celebrating the positive impacts that pharmacists make every day is a source of pride, purpose and engagement.
The Bowl of Hygeia Award for Outstanding Community Service
The Bowl of Hygeia is awarded annually to an Alberta pharmacist who has compiled an outstanding record of community service which, apart from his/her specific identification as a pharmacist, reflects well on the profession.
RxA is happy to announce the 2020 recipient, Zicki Eludin. Listen to Zicki’s acceptance speech here.
RxA ‘s Advancing the Profession Scholarship
The Alberta Pharmacists’ Association (RxA) in partnership with TD Insurance and the Canadian Pharmacists Benefits Association will award up to two scholarships annually, as well as registration to one of RxA’s two professional development conferences to a candidate(s) who demonstrate the leadership skills and professional insight to advance pharmacy practice in Alberta.
Congratulations to Dillon Lee, who was awarded the 2020 Advancing the Profession scholarship sponsored by RxA and the Canadian Pharmacists Benefits Association. Listen to Dillon’s acceptance speech here.
Congratulations to Jes Buhler, who was awarded the 2020 Advancing the Profession scholarship sponsored by RxA and TD Insurance. Listen to Jes’s acceptance speech here.
The APEX Awards
APEX Award nominations officially open!
Have you noticed a pharmacist or pharmacy team going above and beyond for their patients? Do you know someone who has made a significant contribution to pharmacy practice in Alberta? Help recognize your peers for the outstanding work they do by nominating them for a 2021 APEX Award. Nominations for the 2021 APEX Awards are now open!
The APEX Awards recognize excellence in pharmacy practice in Alberta. Initiated in August 2007, the awards are jointly funded, promoted, and presented by the Alberta Pharmacists’ Association (RxA) and the Alberta College of Pharmacy (ACP).
If you would like to recognize someone for excellence in pharmacy practice, this is your chance! There are five categories for the APEX Awards:
- Award of Excellence
- Awarded to a pharmacist for their exceptional work, commitment, and innovation in making a notable contribution to pharmacy and the community through a single unique accomplishment or contribution.
- M.J. Huston Pharmacist of Distinction
- Awarded to a pharmacist who has demonstrated leadership and advanced the pharmacist profession through a long-time commitment to innovation, continual professional development, and quality patient care.
- W.L. Boddy Pharmacy Team Award
- Awarded to a healthcare team (pharmacy staff team or multidisciplinary team that includes one or more pharmacists) who, by virtue of their collaboration skills and use of the pharmacist’s full scope of practice, positively impact the health of individuals in their community.
- Future of Pharmacy
- Awarded to up to three pharmacists per year who have been in practice less than five years and who exhibit strong leadership skills, the initiative to become a role model, and offer extraordinary promise to the profession.
- Friend of Pharmacy
- Awarded to a non-pharmacist/non-pharmacy technician who has contributed to the success of the profession of pharmacy.
Submit your nomination today to help recognize role models, celebrate great patient care, and raise the profile of pharmacy practice in Alberta. All the submitting details are outlined on the ACP website. Nominations close on Monday, February 8, 2021.
All APEX Award recipients and their nominators will be invited to an online celebration on Thursday, March 25, 2021.
2020 APEX Award Recipients
We are thrilled to announce the recipients of the 2020 Alberta Pharmacy Excellence (APEX) Awards! Initiated in 2007 and jointly presented by the Alberta Pharmacists’ Association (RxA) and the Alberta College of Pharmacy the APEX Awards recognize excellence in pharmacy practice in Alberta.
Our 2020 APEX Awards recipients were nominated by their peers for providing exceptional patient care to Albertans and contributing to the advancement of pharmacy practice. We applaud the efforts of all our award recipients, as well as the efforts of those who took the time to share their story through a nomination letter.
All titles, work locations, and names correspond with the time of nomination or the period in which the individual(s) earned their nomination.
Award of Excellence
Taciana Pereira, Program Performance and Informatics Director, Alberta Health Services
M.J. Huston Pharmacist of Distinction
Jenny Wichart, Clinical Practice Leader, Alberta Health Services
W.L. Boddy Pharmacy Team
- Andrew Noh, Pharmacy Manager
- Lauren Mark, Pharmacist
- Karyann Dorn, Pharmacy Technician
- Eva Cui, Pharmacy Student
- Biena Puthenpurackal, Pharmacy Assistant
Future of Pharmacy